Welcome to the Trial Lawyers Section. Formed in 1967, The Trial Lawyers Section is the oldest of bar sections. Our mission is to promote access to courts and to help maintain the independence of the judiciary, two fundamental cornerstones of our system of justice. This year’s focus will be on exploring options to improve the efficiency of our legal system. The term “proportionality” is often used on this topic.
The cost of pursuing a claim should rarely exceed the amount of the claim. Aggrieved parties should have the ability to pursue or defend claims without fear of disproportionate expense. Solutions will not be easy, but improvements can and should be made.
Key programs for the coming year include:
- Our Teachers Law Symposium and Mock Trial competition returns to Tampa on January 22nd – 24th, 2020. Middle and high school civics and government teachers will enjoy presentations from an outstanding faculty addressing the importance of an independent judiciary and the vital roll attorneys play in the process. At the same time, we sponsor a mock trial competition for top teams from Florida’s law schools. The Tampa/ St. Pete area bench and bar offered tremendous support last year. We anticipate this year will be equally well attended. Volunteers who serve as jurors receive eight hours of CLE credit.
- In Early 2020, we will host the popular two-day Board Certification Review Course, providing 15 hours of Civil Trial Certification and Business Litigation Certification Credit for another year.
- In May, the Advanced Trial Advocacy program will be held at the University of Florida College of Law. This is an outstanding program for lawyers with a few years of trial experience. It offers intense, hands on instruction from some of the best trial lawyers around the state. A small group of barristers from England attend annually and offer unique perspective on the art of trial practice. Fifty-six attorneys are selected for this program.
- Our Discovery Handbook is on the desk of nearly every judge across the state. If judges are using it, you should too.
- We are working on dates for CLE Programs. Be sure to check our website regularly for updates.
The Trial Lawyers Section offers many benefits to its members. It is a network of both young and experienced lawyers from Pensacola to Key West. The Section includes trial lawyers from all areas of practice. We strive to represent the interests of plaintiff’s lawyers, defense lawyers and all lawyers that try cases in state and federal court. We encourage you to join us and help make the Florida Bar and the practice of law better than it has ever been.
BARRON & REDDING, P.A.
Clifford W. Sanborn